I’ve had a complete change of plans. I am taking a new direction. I will be staying in Chicago indefinitely.
I’d been planning a bike journey across Africa and “French Holiday”. My original plan was the following:
- Fly one way to Paris using United Airline miles
- Improve French, and spend time with friends in Paris, Dijon, Lille, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Tours, and Chateauroux to name a few. (Yes, I know a lot of people living in France!)
- Practice cycling in France and other countries. Open ended plan, let random chance dictate the route
- Check for cheapest flight and departure city to Cape Town, South Africa. I figured I’d find an extremely cheap flight since I could fly anytime and from anywhere.
- Spend an open ended amount of time in South Africa, before starting the bike trek north.
While the allure of the African Bicycle trip and Francophone adventures still thrives, there was an opportunity that I just could not pass up.
I am starting a new business. I guess I’m an Entrepreneur?
There was an opportunity to start a business with my friend Jeremy Smith, that I just couldn’t pass up. This business is called Spot Hero and that is what has been taking up a majority of my time lately. The decision wasn’t easy. When you’ve had your heart set on doing something for so long, it’s hard to change direction even if that’s what feels best to do. These decisions are possible because of the flexibility I have designed into my life.
When I started saving and retired at 24, I was arranging things so I could have the freedom to do what I want. In the beginning I wasn’t sure what I would use this freedom for, but just wanted the freedom so I could decide later. Right now, I have the freedom and flexibility to make decisions based on what I want to do. I can fly to Los Angeles for a week to visit a friend, or help another friend move in on Tuesday in the middle of the day.
Starting a new business isn’t easy. It takes a lot of hard work, and motivation. It can be easy to let days go by without getting any work done. I have no boss looking over my shoulder to see if I’m staying on track. I am my boss. I do what I want when I want, so I have to stay focused. Working on SpotHero is awesome. I have complete freedom to let creativity run wild. It’s exhilarating! I’m doing real work now. My era of fake work is over!
I don’t really like life labels, but for now nomadic entrepreneur will do. If you were planning on seeing me on my travel journey, I’m sorry but you’ll have to wait. If you’re in Chicago and were planning on seeing me leave, I’m sorry but you’ll have to deal with me a staying a little longer.